Small diameter bombs
GBU39 is a precision-guided glide bomb that has deployable wings and is guided by a self-contained INS/GPS set.
They have a very good standoff ranges and can be used in all weather conditions.
The bomb cannot be redirected in flight and therefore is usefull against non-moving targets.
Due to his small warhead GBU 39 is most efficient against soft-skinned targets like air defense vehicles, artillery pieces, radars and communications towers, fuel tanks, etc.
- Know how to align GBU39 and when they're fully aligned (3 mn needed for a full alignment)
- Set up the different settings in the SMS page : Impact Option, Range on Bearing (ROB) and Attack Azimuth (ATK AZ)
- Know the two different modes and their differences (PRE - VIS)
- Know the flight envelope and the speed limitations (minimum/maximum distance engagement and speeds less than 0.5 Mach or greater than 1.5 Mach otherwize the HUD DLZ is blanked)
- Know the basic symbology of the HUD DLZ
- Know how to drop GBU39 on target steerpoint coordinates
- Know how to drop GBU39 on a target designated with the TGP (or the FCR)
- Be familiar with the 1.6 seconds pickle delay (Depress and hold until the FPM flashes > 1.6 seconds for single, or 3.2 seconds for ripple ! you must hold it until weapon release, otherwise you'll get a HUNG weapon)